Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Cthulhu Fhtagn!

A kind reader sent me a link to this impressive Cthulhu idol by Adriana Lagatta.





You'll find a full gallery of views at the link.

I really like the details of the sculpt, but for some reason the swollen joints and skeletal features made me think of a Pak Protector from Larry Niven's "Known Space" stories. Click through to Wikipedia to find out why.

Just to be clear, since I know how easy it is to misconstrue things, I think the similarity between the Pak illustration and the idol is an amusing coincidence. I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, but for some reason that specific pose has stuck in my brain for, what, fifteen years?

2 comments:

Christopher B said...

Very nice - but also awfully close to the Bowen statue that's been lurking in game store display cases since the 90's...

Propnomicon said...

Now that you mention it, the limbs in particular do seem very similar. Considering the prices those Bowen statues go for I'm surprised no one is cranking out copies by the dozens.