Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The King In Yellow

I'm not altogether happy with how this cover treatment for "The King in Yellow" came out, but it's not bad for a first pass. My illustration for the Hastur-tainted play is based on the first-edition cover of Chamber's collection of stories. I was going for an artsy look with the wings, a detail from the original illustration, but the more I look at it the less I like it. It's a lot less artsy and a whole lot more "Dude, haven't you ever heard of perspective? His wings aren't, like, attached to him."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

However, something like this:

http://tinyurl.com/d4z43o

would look pretty darn good, imo.

Roadie said...

I'm not so sure. I really like the way they look like lungs. I have no idea what it would *mean*, mind you, but I like it. It's subtle enough to give you that feeling of the image creeping into your own body.